Top 10 front desk time-savers
Posted on 8th January 2014 by Fleur Murphy
If your receptionists are feeling frazzled, overwhelmed and exhausted – chances are your business is suffering. Front desk staff are the heartbeat of many successful salons and spas, and there’s no doubt that it’s one of the toughest gigs in our industry.
So how can you help your team reach their potential, while creating an amazing experience for your clients? It all comes down to efficiency.
- Plan your day. Every morning, write a list of everything you need to achieve. Taking a structured approach will help keep you focused and on track throughout the day. Start with the most important task (even if it’s something you’d rather not do!), and work down the list.
- Automate your appointment confirmations. Get off the phone and get on with running your business! Automatic SMS confirmations integrate seamlessly with your appointment book, so you don’t have to waste hours following up with your clients.
- Remember to eat. Your brain and body function best when they are well-fuelled. Take ten minutes out, at least twice a day, to eat a healthy snack and keep yourself hydrated. You’ll find your attention span is improved, and your energy levels remain steady throughout the day.
- Avoid distractions and interruptions. When you’re working on a task, give it all of your attention. That’s not to say you should ignore the people around you – just don’t let yourself be carried away with unnecessary chitchat when you could be more productive with your time.
- Encourage your clients to book online. That way they can make an appointment from the comfort of their lounge room or while they are on the go at work. It saves them hassle, and will save you time, so that you can focus on the clients who are in front of you.
- Don’t multi-task. Yes, that’s right; the latest research shows that multi-tasking can actually reduce productivity – by as much as 40%! So sit down, and do your best to address the task at hand from start to finish. Easier said than done, we know, but it’s worth a try!
- Ask your clients for feedback automatically. Sending out surveys via snail mail or getting people to fill out questionnaires when they visit the salon can be costly and time consuming. If you want to know what your clients really think, fast, online client feedback management works a treat.
- Just do it. Stop procrastinating, because you’ll make your life easier in the long run. If you spend all day avoiding that most hated task you’ll only find yourself worrying about it later on. Take the Band-Aid approach – trust us, it’ll hurt less!
- Don’t waste time manually backing up your data. By using online backup tools, you can rest assured that your data is safe and secure, as it will back up your entire system every single day, without you having to do a thing. Talk about easy!
- Keep calm and carry on. When you’re starting to feel overwhelmed, make a conscious decision to take charge of your emotions. If you need to, remove yourself from the situation – take a walk around the block, or go into another room – until you feel more in control.