Gift Cards - The promotion that keeps giving
Posted on 9th May 2017 by Valorie Reavis
With Father’s Day and graduation season just around the corner, many salons, spas and barbers are already dusting off their gift cards and conjuring up new and compelling marketing campaigns that will drive profits. But the unstoppable rise of gift cards might be down to more than just generous gift-giving. Some salons are running promotions where clients buy the cards for themselves, or as a way to encourage repeat behavior.
Gift cards are big business
The total value of gift cards sales has been growing, often outperforming overall retail sales. In 2015 sales in the US topped $130 billion and some are projecting that to exceed $160 billion by 2018. In the salon and beauty industry, growth is being helped along by promotions that drive service and retail sales without devaluing the brand through obvious discounting.
Offering promotions such as a $20 gift card if the client books their next three appointments at one time, or a $10 card when they purchase three retail products not only helps drive sales – and profits – without cheapening the business profile, but it also means the client will return and, almost certainly, spend more money. Clients love a good deal!
The gift card that keeps on giving
Using the Shortcuts Promotions feature, you can set up a quick campaign within a few minutes and combine it with a Set & Forget Marketing email campaign to drive demand. Here’s an example of how this could look as a well-rounded marketing program:
- Order your beautifully branded gift cards complete with sleeves from Plastic Printers.
- Charge one or more with a pre-set amount, or offer custom value options. For example, run a graduation special by offering $100 worth of services for just $80, or allow your guest to select an amount of their choosing. At the same time, create a Set & Forget Marketing campaign to promote your gift card packages. Start promoting early to get ahead of the game and place a sample pack next to the point of sale for additional awareness. Your clients will snap them up for their grads.
- Two weeks later the lucky graduate comes in for a full pamper day courtesy of a thoughtful parent or relative, handing back the card while spending a further $60 on additional services and retail.
- The card is charged with $20, a loyalty reward that they can spend in the salon on their second visit, which is booked before leaving. Between the two appointments the grad has shared with friends their fantastic experience at a new salon.
- The grad then uses the gift card on the next visit. During checkout, the front desk charges it up with another $30 off a new service, personalized by their new trusted stylist, therapist or barber.
- Two months later the grad returns, now totally hooked on the business, and the card is returned.
- The card has a few weeks relaxing in the salon before it is time for the holiday season, where it will once again entice a new client to sample and stay with the salon.
Sounds almost too easy, right? Well, that’s the point! If you have questions about implementing this sort of program in your system, contact your Shortcuts Customer Care account manager on 866-678-7324 to get set up and ready for the spring/summer gift card season. Or visit our learning center for videos tutorials regarding gift cards.
Custom gift card offer
If you need to order custom gift cards for your salon, Shortcuts’ customers can receive a special offer through Plastic Printers. When you purchase 250 cards, you’ll receive an additional 25 for free! Click here for more details and get a customer quote.